Skincare Trends in 2018
April 12, 2018
A personalized multimodal approach to achieve healthy looking skin is on trend in 2018. Patients are seeking out skincare experts who can help curate products and treatment tailored to specific needs and outcomes. Getting back to the basics helps reduce the clutter of jars and bottles lining the vanity and eliminates the guesswork for clients desiring a change.
Orlando Aesthetic Institute’s expert Ashley Goldston strives to offer a simple skin care plan, “Clean skin is the foundation to achieving healthy, glowing skin, so it’s important that your morning and evening ritual is simple, fast, and effective. Once a routine is established, we can add products and treatments that correct and improve skin tone and texture.”
Vitamin C serums, skin lightening agents, and retinoid products continue to be at the top of Ashley’s list for repairing sun-damaged skin.
- Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that helps reduce skin inflammation, irregular pigmentation, and promotes healthy collagen production.
- Skin lightening agents work in conjunction with Vitamin C serums to target specific hyper-pigmented areas on the face and neck.
- Retinoid solutions are the gold standard for reversing the signs of aging and the damage from sun exposure. Retin-A and Retinol increase skin turnover, dermal thickness, and collagen production. Skin turnover usually occurs every six weeks but adding Retin-A or Retinol to your skin care regimen can speed up the process.
Favorite brands at Orlando Aesthetic Institute include Vivier Vitamin C™, PCA A+C™, Neostrata Retinol NAG™, OBAGI Clear™and OBAGI Blender™, Vivier Skin TX™, YoungPharm™, KojiCab Pads and KojiCab serum.
While the foundation for rejuvenation begins with addressing the outer most layer of the skin, achieving the optimum result is dependent on also improving the damage to the layers beneath the epidermis. Combining a great at-home skin care regimen with personalized in-office treatments that include facials, chemical peels, Micro-Needling, and laser therapy is the key to long-term, lasting skin changes. One or several modalities may be recommended to combat unique skin care concerns ranging from skin texture, tone, Rosacea, Melasma, acne, and scarring.
Signature facials complete with cleansing, exfoliation, extraction, and rejuvenating hydration are not only heavenly experiences, but they also provide an opportunity for licensed professionals to evaluate the skin’s condition and recommend the necessary adjunct procedures to achieve healthy skin. Chemical peels, Micro-needling, and photo light therapy are the three most compelling modalities to address structural repair below the epidermis. Laser Therapy or advanced photo light technology has effectively sped up the process of deeper dermal repair, making it a real game-changer for skin rejuvenation.
- Chemical peels range in strength from mild to medical grade and require a series of three or more to improve the skin’s texture and even out skin tone. Due to the product’s strength, application and monitoring by a licensed professional are recommended.
- Micro-Needling, or Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), stimulates the body’s healing process to create collagen and elastin, naturally occurring components that decrease with age and sun exposure responsible for the skin’s structure and firmness. A powered hand-piece creates tiny channels into the face, neck or décolleté. Expect improvement in skin texture and fine lines after 3-6 treatments, spaced four weeks apart. Also, this form of collagen induction reduces acne pockmarks and minimizes pore size. It is safe for all skin types and has a quick 24-hour recovery, making it a favorite for patients with busy lifestyles.
- Photofacial or BBL(Balance Broadband Light) is a gentle light-based therapy that treats red spots, Rosacea, freckles, and brown pigmentation. Minimal downtime, including the application of make-up the same day as treatment, makes BBL a top choice to address unwanted skin imperfections.
- Cutera Excel V, the latest in dual capacity laser technology, is considered the heavy artillery for the treatment of unsightly veins, red colored pigment on the neck and chests called Poikiloderma, and other specific skin discolorations. This powerhouse laser addresses issues in one to two treatments with minimal downtime and makes treating pigment changes and facial veins feel like a walk in the park.
Now, more than ever, patients are aware that one size does not fit all when it comes to skincare rejuvenation. Get back to the basics. Combine a simplified at-home regimen with personalized in-office treatments to achieve natural, healthy skin. Dr. Clark and the Orlando Aesthetic Institute continue to set the standard of care in 2018 by offering a combination of different modalities to deliver signature treatments that refresh and restore skin to its natural beauty.