Large Breasts Causing Back Pain?
Breast Reduction Surgery Offers Relief
For some women who have very large breasts, the excess tissue and weight from them can place an immense amount of pressure on the surrounding muscles and ligaments that support the neck, spine, shoulders, and pelvis. When this is combined with repetitive motions, and the lack of proper posture (because it’s too difficult to maintain), many women end up with strain, inflammation, pinched nerves, and pain in their backs (upper and lower). While things like weight loss, a proper fitting bra, and anti-inflammatory medication can help, breast reduction surgery is the only option that offers permanent relief.
What Is Breast Reduction Surgery & Why Is It Done?
Breast reduction surgery, also known as a reduction mammaplasty, removes excess tissue, skin, and fat from the breasts, easing painful symptoms and changing the breast proportions to be more in line with the body’s overall size. Common reasons that breast reduction surgery is done in women with large breasts, include:
- Experiencing chronic pain in the shoulders, neck, and upper/lower back.
- Suffering from chronic skin irritations and rashes underneath the breasts.
- Experiencing nerve pain or numbness in the spine.
- Difficulty maintaining proper posture, causing additional strain on the body.
- Having extremely tight bra-straps that dig into the shoulders and cause pain.
- Finding it hard to participate in sports, exercise, or activities.
- Never finding clothing that fits well.
- Suffering from poor self-image due to their appearance.
And in severe cases, having spinal curvature or deformities develop due to the excess weight of the breasts.
How Is Breast Reduction Surgery Performed?
While the technique does vary from surgeon to surgeon, it generally involves making an incision around the areola (the dark skin around your nipple), that vertically moves down the breast. The breast is then reduced in size by removing excess fat, tissue, and skin, but the nipple and areola remain attached, as this preserves the blood supply and feeling in them. In rare cases, the areola and nipple are removed completely and reattached (via a skin graft) to the breast in a higher position. This is generally avoided, though, as it makes the entire nipple numb to feeling after surgery.
How Does Breast Reduction Surgery Offer Pain Relief?
Breast reduction surgery offers permanent pain relief from the painful symptoms that come with large breasts, because it:
- Enables the woman to maintain proper posture, easier.
- It can help reverse unnatural spinal curvatures caused by the weight of large breasts.
- It can relieve pressure placed on the one’s spinal vertebrae and discs. This reduces the risk of developing herniated or bulging discs.
- It can relieve the inflammation causing compressed nerves.
- It can lessen the weight being carried by one’s bra; alleviating bra straps that dig in.
- It allows the woman to exercise or engage in sports, which increases blood flow and oxygen intake, while reducing inflammation.
- Eliminates the pain from chronic skin rashes and irritation.
- Other benefits of breast reduction surgery not related to pain relief include improved mobility, better balance, and increased self-confidence.
Who is a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?
You are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery if you can withstand general anesthesia, and are in good overall health. You must not be medically obese, smoke, planning to lose weight, or are pregnant or planning to become pregnant (sometimes it can be hard to breastfeed after breast reduction surgery). Furthermore, you also need to have enough breast tissue left over after the procedure so that it can be reshaped to fit your weight and frame. Contact Clark Institute for Aesthetics today to see if you’re a good candidate for breast reduction surgery.
Transform your life.
Our team of experienced professionals is here to help you navigate your aesthetic journey with confidence and ease. With our advanced techniques and personalized approach, we can help you achieve natural-looking results that enhance your unique beauty.
Schedule a Consultation